Is Your Home Prepared For Emergencies
October 24th, 2019
Disasters and home emergencies never happen on a schedule. Something bad like a fire, a tornado, a hurricane, or a flood can happen whether you live in Billings, MT or somewhere else, and home accidents can happen anywhere no matter what the environment outside is like. Make sure you’re ready for whatever might come your way by coming up with the right emergency plants, letting everyone in your household know about them, and using the right tools and alarms to warn you about them.
Keep Track Of Possible Emergencies
The first step to crafting a good emergency preparedness plan is to know what kind of emergencies are likely in your area. Your risk factors can depend on where in Billings, MT you live, the ages of the people in your home, and the habits you all tend to follow. For instance:
- Fire is a risk that every homeowner and resident needs to think about, which is why every home comes with at least one smoke alarm.
- Tornadoes can strike throughout the Midwest and Great Plains regions.
- Hurricanes are most common in Florida, but they can also travel up the Gulf Coast and the Atlantic Seaboard.
- Burglaries are more common in some neighborhoods than others, but they’re always a possibility.
- Older homeowners can suffer serious accidents by slipping on the stairs or in the bathroom, especially if no one younger is around to get help.
Reduce Your Risk Factors
- Alarm systems are essential for catching fire early. You can also install fire-resistant insulation and siding.
- Tornadoes can’t be stopped, but you can set your phone to receive tornado warnings so you know when to take cover in your basement.
- Hurricanes take their time approaching land, so you can prepare before they arrive by shuttering windows, cleaning the yard, and so on.
- Burglar alarms and visible security cameras can deter many burglars from trying to break into your home.
- Bracelets and smartphone apps can make it easy to call for help even if you can’t reach a landline phone.
Create An Emergency Kit
An emergency kit should contain everything you need in case you’re stuck without help for several days. It should also be portable in case you need to leave your home in a hurry. There are a lot of things you can add, but the basics should include:
- One gallon of water for each person (and extra food and water for any pets) for 3-4 days.
- Non-perishable food in cans or sealed bags and a manual can opener.
- An emergency contact list.
- A portable phone charger.
- A first-aid kit.
- Essential medications.
- A change of clothing for each person.
- Flashlights and other light sources with spare batteries.
You should also consider equipping your Billings, MT home with extra sensors and alarm systems. At DIS Technologies, we offer burglar alarms and other alarm systems that can sense flooding, fires, carbon monoxide, and other serious dangers. Contact us today and set up an initial consultation to find out what we can do to help you better prepare for disasters.